We have been a faith that is welcoming. Unitarian Universalism does not simply start its doors to individuals of all intimate orientations and gender identities—we value variety of sex and sex to discover this variety as a profound gift that is spiritual.
“Discovering The Right Words”
Language about intimate orientation and sex identification changes and changes: brand new terms are created; other words alter definitions. Learning exactly how differing people use language to generate meaning is very important, as it is making use of language that is inclusive. In discussion with numerous individuals and communities, we’ve developed some working definitions. Do not stop with one of these definitions, though–see the base of these pages for next actions to deepn your understanding.
We affirm the inherent worth and dignity of each and every individual. intimate orientation is a main section of whom we are—being real to ourselves and honoring each other’s facts are a religious imperative.
Intimate orientation defines the pattern of a person’s sexual tourist attractions based on sex. Intimate attraction and attraction that is romantic usually lumped together as though these are the same. Which is not constantly the truth. Affectional orientation defines the pattern of a person’s intimate attraction, or even the sex of those someone falls in deep love with or really wants to mate with.
You can find three fundamental forms of intimate orientations: Monosexual, polysexual, and asexual.
Many people are solely drawn to people in just one sex. Intimate orientation labels utilized by individuals of the sex that is same:
- Gay: generally identifies a guy that is drawn to males. Often relates to all those who are drawn to individuals of the sex that is same often “homosexual” can be used with this also, even though this label is observed by numerous today as being a medical term that ought to be resigned from typical use.
- Lesbian: a lady that is interested in females. Often also or alternatively “same gender-loving woman” or “woman loving girl.”
- Straight: a guy that is solely drawn to ladies or a female that is solely drawn to males; additionally sometimes generally speaking utilized to individuals whoever sexualities are societally normative. Alternately known as “heterosexual.”
Many people are interested in people in numerous genders. Intimate orientation labels utilized by polysexual individuals consist of:
- Bisexual: drawn to individuals of a person’s very very very own sex and folks of other gender(s). Also known as “bi.” See Bisexuality 101 for more information.
- Pansexual: drawn to individuals aside from sex. Often additionally or alternatively “omnisexual.”
- Queer: much like pansexual, queer is an identity label and therefore you were drawn to individuals of numerous genders; nevertheless, queer is a multi-faceted term with one or more meaning and employ, and it is regarded as offensive by some individuals. See Queer 101 for more information.
Many people usually do not experience intimate attraction. Many people this pertains to determine as asexual.
- Asexual: perhaps perhaps not intimately interested in anyone and/or perhaps maybe perhaps not performing on attraction to anybody. Will not indicate sexless. Asexual people sometimes do experience affectional (romantic) attraction.See Asexuality 101 for more information.
Some people don’t like and don’t use labels in addition to the above. Other individuals identify as Questioning: a phrase utilized to describe somebody who is unsure of or exploring their intimate orientation and/or sex identification.
Gender Identity and Expression
We affirm each person’s ability to evaluate on their own who they really advantageous link are and go to town in the manner that is many authentic with their heart. We honor the diversity of truths that exists inside our communities.
Gender is complex and multi-faceted. In North American tradition several distinct issues with ourselves have lumped together when we talk about “gender”:
- Biological Intercourse: characteristics such as for instance physiology, chromosomes, and hormones this is certainly frequently assigned at delivery and inform whether one is male, feminine, or intersex.
- Gender identification: An individual’s sense that is internal of a guy, a lady, neither of the, both, and so on—it is one’s internal feeling of being and one’s own knowledge of how one pertains to the sex binary. Except for agender individuals, whom usually would not have a sense that is internal of, many people have sex identification.
- Gender Expression: the real ways an individual manifests masculinity, femininity, both, or neither through look, behavior, gown, message patterns, choices, and much more.
The social expectation is that one’s biological sex, sex identification, and sex phrase will align in stereotypical means: that somebody who is male will identify as being a boy/man and possess a masculine sex expression, as an example. This expectation will not provide our diverse globe while the array experiences of self that you can get.
For lots more definitions about sex expression and identity, see Transgender 101. We also provide resources for Queer and Trans Youth.
Definitions can’t ever encompass whom we’re as complete beings that are human. The religious invite is to get a get a cross divides of huge difference and simply just take dangers by authentically deciding to become familiar with each other. Labels may be tools of liberation or oppression—it’s all in exactly exactly exactly how they are used by us. Therefore never stop with merely definitions that are learning. Listed here are three next steps for really deepening your understanding.
- Explore your own sense of self: exactly exactly What perform some definitions above talk about for you personally? Just exactly What language do you really used to explain your sense that is own of?
- Keep in touch with people you trust about intimate gender and orientation identification. Inquire further respectfully what exactly is real for them and speak about things that confuse you or that you’re curious about.
- Build relationships with individuals who’ve various intimate orientations and sex identities from your. Be respectful of every person’s straight to privacy by asking questions that are open-ended find out more about how they feel the globe.